Wednesday, January 02, 2008

E.R. - and I'm not talking about the T.V. show




Our day was going so normally. We took the kids sledding, out for a walk and read lots of books. We were scheduled to have dinner with friends so I went to take a shower and Colin was in the living room with the kids. Moments after I stepped out of the shower I heard a kind of wail from Keenan that instantly put me on red alert because it was not your run of the mill cry, it was 'I just really got hurt' cry. As I flew into the room, Colin had already scooped Keenan up and said something like "oh boy" quickly followed by "get some ice". Copious amounts of blood were flowing from a deep cut next to Keenan's right eye. One trip to the E.R. and three stitches later and Keenan is smiling again. As for us, our nerves are really frayed (especially poor Colin's-since he had to help immobilize Keenan while he was being stitched). We still aren't entirely sure what Keenan cut himself on but it appears he fell against the window ledge.

I finally understand what my Mom used to say to me when I got hurt. She would say "I would do anything to take away your pain, I wish it was me instead of you." She had plenty of opportunities to say this to me because I was an accident prone kid. Several broken toes, a broken back, a nearly severed finger tip, several concussions (Colin says that explains a lot) and a shattered jaw just to name a few. Most of my injuries were horse related and my poor Mom witnessed the incident that led to my broken back. At any rate, over the years, she repeated this "I wish it were me instead of you" like a mantra and I would shake my head and think she was being silly and, quite frankly, a little over dramatic. I was wrong.

Seeing your child hurt or in pain is heart wrenching. I would have quite happily traded places with Keenan tonight. It is funny the things you have to experience for yourself to truly understand your parents.

I would like to believe that we won't be as well acquainted with the E.R. staff as my parents were while I was growing up. But I suspect that we will frequent it more than we like. I just hope and pray the visits are for relatively minor things. Although I have to say that while Keenan's cut was rather minor in the grand scheme of things, it sure didn't feel that way tonight.






9 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Kim said...

OUCH!!!
Hope Keenan starts feeling better..
The last picture looks like he is not in any pain...
It is really bad to see your kids go through pain..
My son is 17 and when he came out of surger a few weeks ago... he was crying and freaking out.. it was not easy at all..
Hugs to you MOMMY.. and DADDY..You did GREAT...
Keenan is still adorable with his little bruised eye...

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Chandra said...

Oh the poor little guy! And how horrible for you guys as well. I hope he heals nice and quick.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger M3 said...

Oh poor little sweetheart!! Poor you. Eeesh.

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger mama d said...

What a rough and tumble little boy ... look at that smile! But, what a horror for mom and dad. Hugs.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Sophie's Mom said...

Poor guy! And right by the eye, too! My boy did something very similar, and I was soooo thankful that it didn't hit right in the eye, it was so close!

Now he'll have a scar to show... Glad he's feeling better.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so sorry that he got hurt. Logan was a frequent flyer at the ER when he was 3-4 years old and it is so hard to see them hurt. I hope he is feeling better soon.
Tamara

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger The Beetner Family said...

I know the pain you're speaking of, my husband and I had an ER experience ourselves last weekend. Our daughter Molly was bitten by one of our dogs(who is now no longer one of our dogs). I have never felt the kind of constant pain in my gut that I have had watching her injured, scared and in pain.

Keenan just like Molly looks like he was over the whole incident much faster than his Mom and Dad. I hope Keenan, Mom and Dad all heal quickly.

Marie
G115
ourjourneytomolly.blogspot.com

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

Scary stuff we were all freaking out when Lilly needed stitches on her finger. Hopefully we won't have a repeat of this type of event any time soon!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger The TMIT Driver Provider said...

cute baby(s)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home