Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men..............



There are some good reasons that it has been a week since our last post. Long story short, apparently Murphy's Law followed us to Hawaii. Colin became pretty ill with a stomach ailment right about the time we switched condos and it seems that Keenan followed suit since, once again, he refused to sleep at night and has been randomly intensely crying for extended periods of time and no one could console him.

Just to make sure that we were paying attention, Mr. Murphy threw in a bad illness for Kat's Mom, who is now in the hospital. Hopefully she will be released today or tomorrow, if the doctors can pinpoint what is making her so sick.

Needless to say, three days ago we decided to cut our trip short. Unfortunately, actually getting out of Kauai took a little longer than we hoped (thanks in part to a nasty gate agent and some mechanical issues) and we just got back late yesterday. Thank goodness we did because the weather has turned ugly in the midwest and I doubt we would have been kissing our home soil had we left any later.

Lessons learned. For the next two to three years (until the wee ones are a little more self sufficient), we will not be vacationing if it involves a plane and two infant children. A car and two infant children, perhaps, but at the moment, I can't even fathom that. Remind me I wrote that when we announce a car trip to visit family.

As usual, Hawaii was warm and stunningly beautiful. I don't regret going, partly because we had a pre-paid vacation that we could not change and was not refundable. When we booked it, we had just intended to take one more trip with Sophia, before she was introduced to her brother. We certainly never dreamed we would be heading to Vietnam before our the scheduled vacation. No matter, we were lucky enough to get 10 days out of the snow and cold. Having said that, I have said it before, and I will say it again "there is no place like home," quite an epiphany from someone who was always a happy globe trotter.


Even if that home is covered with snow.............




Quite a contrast with the windblown flowers on the Garden Isle

8 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Pixel Fairy Princess said...

Oh --- you poor thing! I hope that your mom is okay. That is no way to enjoy Hawaii :-(
We are getting ready to fly with a 10 and 2 year old and dreading it! I have to admit, car trips to Michigan are not as bad as they once were with the sweet TV that the kids have in the backseat;-) Well, at least you got to enjoy some nice weather and the pictures have been beautiful!
Debbie

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Nikki said...

Oh my gosh. Not the ending to your trip that I was expecting.
I'm so glad to hear that you are all home again and I hope everyone is feeling better.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Oh.My.Gosh!!!

I'm so sorry to read this! How horrible! I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Okay, you have to get a minivan with a DVD player. It's the BEST money we've spent (other than our adoptions) in years!!

I hope your "no fly" rule doesn't apply to coming to California to visit me! :(

Donna

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger S. said...

I am so sorry your trip was cut short by illness. I hope that everyone recovers quickly, and glad you were able to enjoy Hawaii before the sickness derailed your plans. How is the little guy doing?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Beckyb said...

What a good/bad trip!! I am so sorry to hear about the sick little ones - that is NOT good!! And yes, I understand the Midwest weather - we are in the midst of that as well - we tried to travel this weekend and it wasn't good!!

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger mama d said...

Thank goodness you're all home now. What an "adventure." Best wishes for speedy recoveries for your boys and your mom.

- k, f & c

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Samantha said...

Oh so Sorry! I never thought I would feel bad for people who got to go to Hawaii, but I do feel bad for you guys! I hope everyone is recovered! May you all have a illness free life from now on! There's no place like home!

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger J said...

So sorry to hear that "the bug" caught up with you again while traveling. Kat, I hope your mom is feeling better and that Colin and Keenan are on the mend. Here's to hoping that you and Sophie stay well.

Traveling with youngins is "no vacation".

Welcome back to the snow belt. We are getting blasted for the second time in a week. The good news is that it is March and Spring will be here soon (let's hope).

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.

J in MN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home