Thursday, April 30, 2009

There's a first time for everything

I was walking down the street, cooling down from my 6 mile run around the Imperial Palace when the most unexpected thing happened.  A local asked ME for directions!  As she clung to her map, at first I thought she was talking to the lady walking next to me.  But no, she had me in mind.  The miracle was that I actually was able to help her.  OK, so she was just looking for the FedEx Kinkos, but still, I was pretty proud of myself.  In retrospect, we figure that since the area I was walking in was Embassy Row, she probably figured I was connected to one of the embassies and would be a safe bet.

Of course, there are plenty of things to keep me humble.  Like that faux pas of actually running IN the Imperial palace entrance area.  Come to find out, that is a big no no, only run AROUND the palace walls.  Silly Gaijin.  Oh, and I still can only say about five things in Japanese:  hello, goodbye, thank you, thank you very much and excuse me.  Still, progress is being made.  I think.      


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home