Monday, July 17, 2006

The Three Rs

No, I am not referring to the old axiom "reading, writing, and arithmetic." (Side note) OK, so I have always wondered why they referred to that as the 3 rs. I get that there is a R in every word, but still, doesn't quite add up, does it?

My version of 3 Rs simply translates to this: Running, riding, and reading. Simply put, these are the three things that I feel help to sustain my physical, mental and emotional health. I knew going in that being a Mother would require a lot of sacrifices on my part, probably more than I imagined. That being said, I had resolved that even after Sophia arrived, I would do my best to continue with my daily three mile runs, riding my horse and enjoying reading a good book before going to sleep.

Many of my friends who were already mothers laughed at my naive notion of still getting through 3 to 4 novels a month. Their laughter was the equivalent of waving the red cape in front of the bull. I felt compelled to prove them wrong and set about doing so.

So how well have I done so far? In the past 3 weeks, I have whipped through 5 mystery novels. Of course, my sheer cussedness comes at a steep price. Namely, a full night's sleep has been sacrificed on more than one occasion. Sophia has been willing to tag along (via a jogging stroller) for my daily runs. OK, so maybe I only run 4 times a week instead of 6, but still, it is better than nothing. And afterall, it has been pretty hot lately (whine, whine, whine). On the riding front? Well, unfortunately with the climate change, Mambo's feet became very fragile and he hasn't been able to wear shoes. Result? His feet are so bruised, he hasn't been sound enough to for me to ride. I still go and groom him several times a week and I am happy to spend time with him.

All in all, I feel like I have done a pretty decent job of persisting with the three things (the 3 Rs that is) that I felt were an intergral part of my well being. I won't say it has been easy. I miss Sophia when I am away from her. On the other hand, I think that when I am with her, I am more present and less prone to feel resentful of the things I might be giving up.

I'm sure this approach isn't for everyone. As for me, I think it has made me a happier, and as a result, better, parent to Sophia. I'm sure that one way or another, in the years to come, Sophia will let me know if I have made the right choices. Like me, she is no wall flower and I believe she will be inclined to speak her mind, whether or not I like what she has to say about me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger M3 said...

I think it's a wonderful approach Kat! A healthy, happy, well-adjusted mom = a healthier, happier, better-adjusted family. So good for you - keep running, reading, and riding and doing whatever keeps you smiling.

(Oh, and yeah, it has been ungodly hot here. Holy moly. I think my toenail polish melted today...)

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger mama d said...

Think about what a wonderful role model you're being for Sophia! When she wants to grow up to be just like you, she wants to grow up healthy, happy, loving animals, and with a wide range of interests. Hooray!

- kristin

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Kimber and Chris said...

You are doing far better than I my friend on that friend....I am working toward it though...
I still have my head deep into baby books (have yet to pick up some great literature) and have not made it to one Yoga class since our return. Do my walks with her and the "boys" count??
Still loving every minute of it- but I so get what you are talking about (as you know from our long talks!)
Kimberxx

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Redheaded Chick said...

Thank you for this post. As a "waiter", I find this very encouraging. I want to be a mom, but I also want to remain me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home